Senior Housing Properties Trust Forms Joint Venture to Own Life Science Buildings in Boston’s Seaport District

by Haisten Willis

BOSTON — Senior Housing Properties Trust (NASDAQ: SNH) has formed a joint venture with a sovereign institutional investor to own 11 Fan Pier and 50 Northern Ave. in Boston. The investor will contribute $261 million for a 45 percent equity interest in the new venture, and SNH will own the remaining 55 percent. The investment amount is based on a property valuation of $1.2 billion, less $620 million of existing secured debt on the property. Senior Housing Properties Trust acquired the property included in the joint venture in May 2014 for $1.1 billion. It consists of two 15-story, LEED Gold-certified life science buildings with structured parking located in Boston’s Seaport District. The two buildings are 95 percent leased to Vertex Pharmaceuticals through 2028 and include 1.1 million square feet of lab, office and retail space. Senior Housing Properties Trust expects to use the cash proceeds from the transaction to repay a portion of the amounts outstanding under its revolving credit facility. Eastdil Secured acted as Senior Housing Properties Trust’s advisor and Sullivan & Worcester LLP provided legal counsel to the company in the transaction. SNH is a publicly traded REIT that invests in seniors housing, medical office buildings, wellness centers and biotech laboratories.

You may also like